535 Portwall St.
Houston, TX 77029
This activity is best for ages 6 and up.
This is a modified, in person volunteering opportunity. Detailed instructions and educational resources will be sent to you upon registration. You will meet with our nonprofit partner directly for the service opportunity onsite. A COVID waiver from both Generation SERVE and our nonprofit partner will be required. Please review and sign the Generation SERVE waiver HERE and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE REGISTER IN ADVANCE TO RECEIVE YOUR OWN QR CODE: http://houstonfoodbank.civicore.com/index.php?section=indGpRegistrations&action=conditional&fwID=62085 .
Let's help fight hunger in Houston by volunteering at the Houston Food Bank! Volunteer projects vary based on need and may include inspecting/sorting food, repacking dry food into family-sized bags, stocking/cleaning the Portwall Pantry and more!
- VOLUNTEER MASK OR FACE COVERING REQUIRED - PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN (you may also bring your own gloves, though they are not required.)
- Volunteers MUST be at least 6 years old and supervised by parent or guardian throughout the shift.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 also need a completed Youth Volunteer Consent Form signed by a parent or guardian. A copy of this form can be downloaded by clicking the RESOURCES tab on your Volunteer Profile page.
Description of Duties
Varies with the makeup volunteers for shift. Most of the projects at the warehouse involve inspection, sorting, and repackaging of donated food items for community distribution.
Address Houston Food Bank
535 Portwall St.
Houston, TX. 77029
From Downtown: Take IH-10 east and exit Gellhorn St. (exit #774). Make a U-turn at Gellhorn, stay on feeder and turn right on Portwall St.
If space permits it, you may park in the front parking lot, but in the event of a large volunteer turnout, you may be directed to our overflow lot located behind the building.
VOLUNTEER FACE COVERING or MASK REQUIRED - PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN. CLOSED-TOE SHOES REQUIRED - casual dress, long pants (preferred), t-shirt with sleeves.
- For your safety, personal belongings are not allowed in project areas: Due to limited locker space, we ask that you lock your purse, jackets, backpacks and any other valuables in your vehicle before checking-in.
- REMEMBER to wear close-toed shoes so your feet are protected and dress in layers so you will be comfortable throughout your shift.
- If you are scheduled in our KITCHEN, please wear LONG PANTS - NO SHORTS or JEWELRY allowed.