535 Portwall St.
Houston, TX 77029
This activity is best for ages 6 and up.
This is a modified, in person volunteering opportunity. Detailed instructions and educational resources will be sent to you upon registration. You will meet with our nonprofit partner directly for the service opportunity onsite. A COVID waiver from both Generation SERVE and our nonprofit partner will be required. Please review and sign the Generation SERVE waiver HERE and return to email@example.com.
PLEASE REGISTER IN ADVANCE AND RECEIVE YOUR OWN QR CODE: http://houstonfoodbank.civicore.com/index.php?section=indGpRegistrations&action=conditional&fwID=63776 .
Join us to help fight hunger in Houston by volunteering at the Houston Food Bank!
- VOLUNTEER MASK OR FACE COVERING REQUIRED - PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN (you may also bring your own gloves, though they are not required.)
- Volunteers MUST be at least 6 years old and supervised by parent or guardian throughout the shift.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 also need a completed Youth Volunteer Consent Form signed by a parent or guardian. A copy of this form can be downloaded by clicking the RESOURCES tab on your Volunteer Profile page.
Description of Duties
Varies with the makeup volunteers for shift. Most of the projects at the warehouse involve inspection, sorting, and repackaging of donated food items for community distribution.
Address Houston Food Bank
535 Portwall St.
Houston, TX. 77029
From Downtown: Take IH-10 east and exit Gellhorn St. (exit #774). Make a U-turn at Gellhorn, stay on feeder and turn right on Portwall St.
If space permits it, you may park in the front parking lot, but in the event of a large volunteer turnout, you may be directed to our overflow lot located behind the building.
VOLUNTEER FACE COVERING or MASK REQUIRED - PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN. CLOSED-TOE SHOES REQUIRED - casual dress, long pants (preferred), t-shirt with sleeves.
- For your safety, personal belongings are not allowed in project areas: Due to limited locker space, we ask that you lock your purse, jackets, backpacks and any other valuables in your vehicle before checking-in.
- REMEMBER to wear close-toed shoes so your feet are protected and dress in layers so you will be comfortable throughout your shift.
- If you are scheduled in our KITCHEN, please wear LONG PANTS - NO SHORTS or JEWELRY allowed.
Safety remains one of our top priorities. COVID-19 vaccinations or masks are required of all building occupants. All staff members who are not wearing masks have been verified to have completed their COVID-19 vaccinations and have a sticker on their HFB Badge ID as proof. Volunteers and visitors who show their COVID-19 vaccination card or a photo of that card will not be required to wear masks. Temperature checks remain.
Generation SERVE updated mask policy- Masks are optional for all participants at outdoor volunteer events, unless a partner organization requires otherwise. Because children under 12 are not yet eligible for vaccination, masks are required for all Generation SERVE participants and activity leads at indoor activities.
**Suggested donation $15 per child/$30 per family to cover our activity costs, or join us as a Houston Family Sponsor and help us inspire a generation of community-inspired leaders in Houston. Please donate now and thank you for your support!