SERVE at Home is a way for your family to spread kindness and help our community on your own, anytime, anywhere! We want to keep Austin volunteering all week long! Please RSVP on our calendar so we can let our non-profit partner know how many items to expect.
For this activity, you will work with your family at home to assemble holiday stockings for Soldiers' Angels. Nothing can replace the sense of being with loved ones during the holidays, but receiving a stuffed holiday stocking will help to brighten the spirits of deployed service members and veterans. Soldiers’ Angels Holiday Stockings for Heroes does just that!
You will need to provide the supplies for this activity. You can complete this activity on your own anytime during the month.
Purchase at least 1 holiday stocking.
To stuff a stocking, please include any combination of the following items, as well as a small card or handwritten note inside the stocking to let the service members and veterans know you’re thinking of them:
- Slim Jims or Beef Jerky (store bought)
- Packages of Holiday nuts
- Single serving drink mix packets (i.e. Crystal Light)
- Playing cards
- Puzzle book (Crosswords, Sudoku, Word Find)
- Holiday-themed writing pens or pencil
- Holiday candy (in sealed wrapping or small unopened bags)
- Candy Canes
- Peanut Brittle (store bought)
- Travel-sized games
- Card games (Uno, Phase 10)
- Stress balls (holiday-themed preferred)
- Gloves (preferably black; winter; one size fits all)
- Single serving cookie packages (store bought)
- Apple cider packets (must be in Ziploc baggies in case the packets break)
- Hot chocolate (must be in Ziploc baggies in case the packets breaks)
- Small notepads
- Holiday-themed lip balm (wrapping and scent)
- Caps (warm winter)
- Other holiday-themed items
Please do not include these items:
- NO GLASS (containers, ornaments, etc)
- NO SHARP OBJECTS (safety pins, razors pocket knives)
- NO PRODUCTS CONTAINING ALCOHOL (some mouthwash, hand sanitizer, some colognes)
- NO AEROSOLS
- NO HAND SANITIZER
- NO GLITTER
- NO BRANDED STOCKINGS with company/organization names, logos, etc.
- NO POLITICAL MATERIALS
Close your stocking so it doesn't spill!
Stockings need to be fastened at the top so items won’t spill during shipping.
A knit stocking cap can be placed over the top as a closure. This is their preferred method for you to close the stocking since it’s easy to remove and adds a useful extra item for the recipients. Any store-bought stocking cap will work.
Please DO NOT use staples or safety pins to close your stockings (not allowed in most VA Hospitals).
You can purchase supplies for and make as many stockings as your family is able to donate. We recommend making 1 stocking, but making more is appreciated.
Please mail the stocking to Soldiers' Angels. Stocking packages MUST be postmarked by October 6, 2023.
The mailing address is:
2895 NE Loop 410, Suite 107
San Antonio, TX 78218
Please ensure you carefully pack the stockings with newspaper, packing peanuts, or bubble wrap to ensure minimal damage to stockings during shipping. Please do not ship in extra-large boxes and keep box weight to less than 40 pounds.
Tell Us When You're Finished
Please complete this form to let us know you've completed the activity! We would love to see pictures of your family working together to complete this activity, so please take a photo to share with us! You can submit the photo through our form.
- This activity is great for all ages.
- Our program is designed to be a family experience. We want parents and caregivers to work alongside their child(ren) for all our Family Volunteering activities.
More About Our Partner
The mission of Soldiers' Angels is to provide aid, comfort, and resources to the military, veterans and their families.
Support Generation SERVE
A $10 donation would help us continue developing new activities and ways for families to spread kindness throughout the community. You also can become a family sponsor to support us in providing fun volunteer opportunities for other families! Thank you for your support and generosity! We appreciate it!